Friday, July 25, 2008

Plod and Shuffle

For the first time in a long time, I really wasn't feeling it today. Plan was for a longish run, too. I really wanted to go to Bradbury, but I didn't have the time. At the very least, I wanted to stay off the roads. Well, that didn't completely happen either. Overall, this run was a bit of a struggle. It wasn't even very musical, I started with this in my head:

(I've been listening to a lot of Pearl Jam lately...probably because I'm old.) It lasted for a while, and then everything went blank. I don't know where I was. I think I was just focusing. Trying to put one foot in front of the other.
Here's the route:

(And, yes, I'm completely addicted to MapMyRun.) It came out to 11, but I think it's probably a little longer than that. There's no real way for me to be accurate through the Commons. I think it's close, but I'm guessing it's at least .25 longer. For the way I felt, it was a real mental victory to add the out and back to Simpson's Point. Considering I almost turned around at the end of the Commons, I kind of impressed myself. I stopped and stretched at the Point and took in the view. Between the view at Simpson's Point and Pennelville Road this is one of the prettiest routes around.

Anyway, not a great run physically as I never really got going, but it was a good run mentally. Glad I was able to push through the malaise. And, actually, the pace was dead on. Total time was 1:39:05, which for 11 miles is 9-minute miles on the nose. So, perhaps I should stop complaining. But, I had been feeling great during my runs and really looking forward to all of them. In fact, I'd been missing them on my days off. Hopefully, today was just an off day. Short run on the schedule tomorrow, and then it's back on the AT Sunday and Monday.

No comments: