Saturday, May 17, 2008

I am a Colossal Dork

I know this isn't really news to any of you out there, but it has been proven once again. Today I signed up for Fantasy Track & Field. I'm such a tool. I've been playing fantasy sports for a long time now. I used to be really into it. And by really into it, I mean obsessed. I've played football, baseball, basketball, hockey, even golf. It was a disease. I've had as many as 4 football teams in one season. (That year, I did win 3 out of 4 championships, I might add.) But fantasy track & field? I don't even know half these people. But, perhaps that's the point: I now will be watching the women's high jump with some interest. Maybe fantasy track & field will get people interested in the sport. Well, maybe at least dorks anyway.

So, get your lineups in. The adidas Track Classic airs on ESPN tomorrow night.

In other running news, Oscar Pistorius has been cleared to run in the Beijing Olympics, overturning a ruling by the IAAF. I have to admit I'm on the fence about this. Being a double amputee certainly doesn't give you an advantage in life, but his prosthetic legs may give him an advantage on the track. Possibly. Are they "technical aids?" I don't know enough about physiology or physics to really be certain, but if there is a question at all, it doesn't seem like he should be allowed to compete. That being said, he's certainly impressive.

No comments: