Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Don't Know

Another Tuesday. Another mediocre Nordic Meister result. Actually, it felt like a less mediocre result than last week, and it may have helped me solve a mystery.

My "race" was fine. I fell. About 2 minutes in. On a flat section. That was humorous. Not really sure what happened, but I think it only cost me 10 seconds or so. Overall, I skied relaxed. Didn't really try to kill myself. And as a result I skied technically better than last week. (My fall excluded.) It felt better anyway. Less flailing.

However, there is still a great mystery about my ability to make my skis kick. I waxed really warm. Goopy, should stick to anything warm. But still, my kick was not that great. This had lead me to 2 possible conclusions:
1. My technique has completely deteriorated.
2. I'm too light for my skis.

Needless to say, I'm really hoping it's #2. I'm going to flex test my skis today or tomorrow to find out for certain. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I was fat when I bought this pair a couple years ago. Plus, the warm wax wasn't dragging on the flats and hills yesterday as it would if skis were the right flex. And, the first week of Meisters, I had great kick. It was a klister day, and a stiff ski will work with klister. So, hopefully it's #2. If it's #1...well, I don't really want to think about it.

The additional good news if it is #2, I have another softer ski that I can race on. Or maybe D will let me buy a whole new set up! (My boots are trash anyway.)

No comments: