Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nordic Meisters 09, Week 2 OR Hello, Hip Flexors!

Week #2 of Nordic Meisters is in the books, and my thoughts are: meh. Not great. Not terrible. It just kind of happened. Maybe that's too harsh. It was pretty OK. I skied better, but I was more tired going in. (I wonder why?) Additionally, my hip flexors were sore from Monday's ski. But, those things aside, I actually felt good while skiing. I was able to push hard, but, more importantly, I flailed much less. I was definitely more on top of my skis. On the downside, I didn't get out to take my run until almost 3:00, and as the day wore on the conditions got slower and slower. I had to contend with windblown snow, small drifts and tough light. My own fault, but my guess is that the conditions cost me about a minute over the folks that hit the snow early. Or perhaps, I'm just rationalizing why I once again got crushed. I need to keep reminding myself that I'm just not that good of a skier.

This morning, I had planned to sneak in a quick 5 miles. I didn't. For the most part, I just wimped out: cold, windy, snowy roads—a combination that leads to sloth. So, sloth it was. However, my hip flexors are really sore. So, perhaps, a rest day isn't such a bad idea. No need to overdue it after the 40k and before the 10-mile Classic.

No comments: