Thursday, April 10, 2008

More Questions Than Answers

Just finished up a 3-mile run on the bike path. So, yeah, the good news is that I just ran 3 miles. The bad news is that it wasn't perfect.

I ran about a 1/4 of a mile and stopped to stretch. Everything was feeling fine. Went through 1 mile, still good. I stopped at 1.5 miles and stretched. No pain, but I definitely knew my calf was there. On the other hand, everything else felt great. I was cruising right along without much effort at about 8-minute pace. The effort was definitely wind aided as the breeze was in my face on the way back. With about .75 miles to go, I could feel my calf tightening. Just slightly, though. At about .25 miles to go things got tight. Not tight as in I haven't run in about 10 days, but tight as in this kinda hurts and I wonder if I'm going to have to walk. I didn't have to walk, and reached the car in 25:10. Stretch at the car, drove home and now I'm icing as I type.

I have no idea.

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to be able to race on Saturday. I have bigger fish to microwave this summer, and I don't want cause any long term problems. Mt. Washington is only 2 months away, and I think I might need to train for that. That being said, I'd really like to give it a go. It is an out and back course, so I could also try it out and just call it if I need to. Then again, I certainly won't be running fast on Saturday. What a hassle.

However, I did wear shorts on my run for the first time this year. My apologies to everyone on the bike path today. Speaking of that everyone, it's spring, it's beautiful out, cheer up people! What a bunch of grumps out there today. Many, many unreturned hellos. Maybe it was my legs. "Oh, the glare!!!"

1 comment:

BS Hero said...

Good luck with whatever you decide. Personally, I found that rushing my recovery was NOT a good idea. But hopefully you'll be okay with whatever you decide.