Saturday, June 7, 2008

Cathance River Nature Preserve

When we bought our condo, we knew that we probably had access to a couple trails. We knew from college that there were trails behind Mt. Ararat High School even if most of them had been obliterated by the development of Highland Green. However, part of the development included the preservation of a chunk of land now called the Cathance River Nature Preserve. That may not be the exact history, but that's pretty much what it looks like. The nature preserve has a handful of trails that D and I have run once before, but this was the first time I had tried to run them directly from our house. I'm glad I did.

I took the most direct route through the Mt. Ararat trails to the nature preserve and reached the trailhead in about 17 minutes. The trails are really nice, but they aren't mellow. No real hills, but a lot of little ups and downs and a ton of twists and turns. Great trail running. The trails eventually reach the Cathance River, and it's really pretty. Or at least, I think it is. I spent a lot of time looking straight down trying to avoid roots and rocks. I could have explored more of the trails, but I didn't want to go more than 7 miles. I ended up weaving through the system and adding a little more on in the Mt. Ararat trails.

It was a solid run, and I'm looking forward to getting back out there again to explore some more of the system.

No comments: