Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Back from Aruba and Looking Ahead

We arrived back in Maine last night after a great trip to Aruba. Not our type of vacation, but we had a really good time. I think much better than we had anticipated. I know that I thought sitting on the beach would get really boring. It didn't. It was relaxing. That being said, it's not our version of relaxing. We like relaxation with stimulation. It's more relaxing for us, if we're out doing something...trail running, hiking up a mountain, camping by a stream. That's more our speed. Because there is some type of speed...not just sitting around. Although, I did relax, and even read a really good book. (Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain) Oh yeah, I also got to go to my sister's wedding. Maybe that's why it was such a fun trip.

Back in Maine, I slept better last night. Well, better when Ronnie wasn't climbing on top of me, purring, drooling and licking my face. I think he was happy that we were home. (In fact, he's sitting on D's lap right now, purring so loudly I had to turn up the TV.) That signal was that it's back to reality time. No more runs on the beach. No more treadmill in the Hyatt fitness center. In fact, I ran today in the mist/rain on the trails behind Mt. Ararat. It was 60° and rainy. A far cry from the 90+° temps and blazing sun in Aruba, and I was thankful for that.

Why am I running now? The Pineland Farms 25k is behind me, but there's more on the schedule. In fact, I have two races coming up.

On June 15, I'll be running the Bradbury Scuffle. I'm not running it for any other reason than to support the folks who are organizing it and because I love running at Bradbury. Should be a good time. Plus I'm not planning to take it too seriously. Mainly because...

On June 21, I'll be running Mt. Washington. I know I was on the fence about this, but I've decided to go for it. Am I ready? Yes and no. No because I haven't put in enough mileage. I haven't run enough hills. I haven't trained on the road. I haven't really focused on it. Yes because...well, why the hell not? I'm ready because I'm ready to give it 100%. (Sorry for the disgusting cliche.)

After Pineland, I've really adjusted my expectations and goals. I know that I've been saying that I realize I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I haven't really believed it. In my mind, I'm still a 4:31 miler. Unfortunately, my mind is no longer in that body. So, for Mt. Washington, I'm just going to run. Put on my number and go for it. Now, I still don't want to suck. I'm going to push. I'm going to do the best that I can based on the shape that I'm in right now. And, I know that a year from now, I'll be in even better shape. I'm just starting to really get back into this. It's an experiment. So, will I ever be that 4:31 miler again. Pretty unlikely, but I'm sure going to try to get as close as possible.

No comments: