Tuesday, March 18, 2008

5-Mile Recovery Run

It's really nice to be able to say that. Five miles is now a recovery run. That's good stuff. Not that long ago 5 miles was my long run.

D and I hit the bike path today for a run that was completely opposite of yesterday's. It was flat and easy, and we just cruised along. With the temperature hovering around 45, spring fever has hit. This was the busiest I think I've ever seen the bike path. It was good to see so many people out, but really odd to have to weave in and out of everyone as we moved along.

Earlier in the day, we headed to Maine Running Company. I decided to return my Inov-8s. I tried a couple different lacing patterns and tried adding some padding. None of it really worked. I could just tell that they weren't going to work. I'm kind of bummed because I was hopeful that I had found a good trail shoe. However, all is not lost as I picked up a pair of Asics GT-2130 Trails. The fit is very similar to the Asics Kayanos I've been using, so I think they'll work out well. They're not a pure trail shoe like the Inov-8s; they're more of a modified road shoe, the GT-2130s to be exact, but ultimately, it's the fit that matters. I ran in them today, and the fit was good. They're really stiff and my feet were actually cramping for the first mile or so. I think they'll take some getting used to, but I'm confident I've made a good choice. Plus, they have more of the support that I'm used to, which is probably a good thing for my fragile parts.

So, that's 15 miles in two days. The goal for the this week is 20 miles. I'd say that's a good start.

No comments: