Sunday, February 10, 2008

Double Up

We were hosting a race at work today, the Great Glen Nordic 300. (If you're wondering who designed such a clever and snazzy website, that would be me.) It's a cool race, ski as many laps as possible in 300 minutes. And, honestly, I'm a bit jealous that I didn't get to compete, but I had official duties to attend to. As the marketing guy, it was my job to get out and take pics of the race for later publication. (Of course, this assumes that I've done my job and we actually have people here to race. Luckily, we did.) Not only did I get photos, but I also got some video.



And yes, that is the fun part of my job.

Anyway, all of this made for an interesting dilemma for my training log. I kind of did a double. It was a weak double, but I'm still going to count it as such. The race started at 10:00. I skied to the start, snagged some footage, and then headed out on the course. I've found that for loop courses, it is best to ski the course backwards. This way I can get the maximum amount of people. With this race, people were skiing multiple laps of the same course, so I got to see them repeatedly. In fact, one racer called me the course gremlin, since I was popping up so much. The course itself was 6.5km, so I skied that and another small loop, while shooting pics of the racers. It was a slow, sporadic ski. I'd go for a bit until I hit a good spot for photos and wait for racers to come by. And, since it's kind of a pain to keep taking my pole straps on and off, I skied a lot of the time without poles. Anywho, this first loop took me 1:30. I stopped in the timing building to help with the math on the lap times, and then shot inside to grab some lunch. After I scarfed my lunch, I headed back out to get more pics and video. This meant another ski. This time I skied for about another hour: stopping, no pole, taking pics and sometimes actually skiing. So, it was slow, but it was a sort of double.

I was definitely tired after the race, and one guy who thanked me for cheering along the course said, "Man, you put in a lot of K's today." I kind of did, I guess. But I'm still avoiding my training log because I have no idea how to label this "workout."

No comments: