Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shaking Things Out

I had originally planned to take today off after our hiking trip, but I decided to go for a short run this afternoon. Everything was feeling good. It was a beautiful afternoon. And, I was itching to run, since I hadn't run since Saturday the 13th.

The run was pretty good. I ran the "usual" 3-mile loop in the Commons. I actually felt surprisingly springy. That being said, I was definitely tight. I could feel the effects of the hiking in my knees, calves and feet. Nothing serious and certainly nothing unexpected. What was unexpected was the strange feeling my right foot. I had a bit of tingling and slight numbness in a couple toes. I'm attributing it to the overall tightness in my foot. I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. And, obviously, I'll will be stretching.

So, overall, I think it was good to get out get this run in. Good for my state of mind, and good to use some different muscles. I'm not surprised about the tightness, especially in my feet, since my boots were on their last legs. They had pretty much started to blow out by the end of the trip, but the hike up and down Katahdin killed them. My left boot was completely exploded on the side, and the right one wasn't far from my toes sticking out. So, I can't imagine that the midsoles were particularly supportive. Again, I'll be stretching, so I'm not concerned. It was a good shake out.

No comments: