Monday, November 2, 2009

Blog Guilt?

It's taken me a while to notice that my blog is all about runs without any real details. By contrast, in her blog, D does a great job of painting a picture. She writes about the weather, the colors, the flora, the fauna, and the smells if she's with me. First of all, I probably only notice about half of the sights and sounds she does. But, secondly, I'm more focused on the task at hand. Even though I'm old, slow and fat, I'm still focused on the numbers and the end result. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but then in my posts, I'm leaving out a lot of details. No real numbers and no real descriptions. And, on my run today, I figured out why.

Taking the narcissism of a blog a step further, I realized I've left out the details because I subconsciously want to keep them a secret. I'm worried that someone I know from olden days will realize just how old, slow and fat, I've really become. I don't want to be embarrassed for being so relatively slow. Then, in a really strange twist of psychology, I want to keep the numbers a secret so if, by chance, a potential "opponent" is reading this blog, they won't know the details of my workouts. This way, I maintain an advantage over them in an upcoming race. Damn, I'm messed up. Well, I'm going to put an end to that. Because, really, who cares?

With that in mind, today I ran the 3-mile Suck Loop in 22:33. Until today, the fastest I'd run this loop was 24:01. So, today was a big step up. In my plan that I've yet to fully lay out here, I've decided that I need to pick up the pace from time to time, and today was definitely one of those days. (It helps that I got a pretty decent night of sleep last night. Not uninterrupted, but I'll take it.) That being said, today's run wasn't easy. It wasn't hard, but I was working. I'm also working on lifting my legs. Sounds simple, but I really need to stretch it out. I've developed a pretty solid marathon shuffle, but I need to find some speed of days gone by. The 7:30 per mile pace was a good test, and I think I passed. Most of the time I'm running 8:30-9:00 per mile, which is great for my easy runs, but from time to time, I need to add a little zip.

Oh yeah, there were a bunch of different colored leaves on the ground at one point. And, I saw a squirrel.

In other news, we've moved into cloth diapers for the Little Lady. Thank God we just bought a new washer and dryer.

5 comments:

middle.professor said...

Probably 2/3 of your old running buddies don't run anymore so anything is fast compared to 0MPH. And thanks for painting a beautiful picture of the leaves on the ground!

pathfinder said...

What color was the squirrel?

I suppose if your potential opponent was reading this, they would be admitting to themselves that they were feeling the same as you and relieved to find out they were not alone.

You should seek out this proposed opponent and invite them out for a "shuffle"

Sparkplug said...

Come on now, things would be boring if you wrote the same posts as I did! Besides, someone in this house needs to be talking about running and other ridiculous factoids instead of the leaves and birds :-)

sn0m8n said...

I think the squirrel was blue...may have been a Smurf.

weak and feeble said...

I'm laughing, as I think in a similar manner, although I feel much more evolved as I focus on making wheels go round and round as opposed to putting one foot in front of the other. Of course I've also resolved myself to realize that the slower I am the better "deal" I get on a race entry- if you calculate the cost per minute.
DEA