Monday, May 18, 2009

Taper Madness

I haven't posted anything this week as I've been applying the principle: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So, in short, I've not been feeling very good. (Running-wise, anyway. No actual life issues to worry about.) My left leg appears to be staging some type of rebellion. My hamstring has been squacky. Not necessarily tight, but somewhat achy. On Wednesday morning, I woke up with a shooting ache in my piriformis muscle, aka a pain in the butt. The other night as I climbed into bed, I had a throbbing ache in my ankle. And, all of this in my left leg. I've also felt really off, sluggish and labored on just about all my runs. So, yeah, I'm totally pumped to run 50k on Sunday.

That being said, the piriformis pain only lasted a couple days. And, this morning, my entire leg felt better. By that, I mean that I could walk normally all day. Over the past 10 days or so, walking normally was not in the cards. So, again, I'm totally pumped to run 50k on Sunday.

So, my head is adjusting my goals. My heart is not. Hopefully, my heart will make my head shut the hell up and then whip my body into submission.

3 comments:

R. Ian Parlin said...

Tapering always sucks. By Sunday your legs will be craving a good pounding on the hills of Pineland. You'll rock it.

Gnarls said...

if it makes you feel any better my runs have felt sucky too, I ran 10 at Pineland last week and couldn't wait until it was over it just felt way too hard and I wasn't going fast. I'm sure tapers are supposed to feel this way, you will be flying at the 50km for sure.

Bryan Daigle said...

Snowman, Good to see you're making make a comeback. However, be careful when running and strength training because you may be making your piriformis syndrome condition worse. You might be interested in our unique physical therapy program for active adults like you that suffer from piriformis syndrome and sciatica pain.

- Bryan Daigle
Founder of the 10-Minute Sciatica Relief Program