Monday, March 10, 2008

Bradbury Out and Back

The "schedule" called for a long run today. I really didn't want to run 8 or so on the roads, so I convinced D that the conditions at Bradbury would be good for running. I figured that with the recent rain and the cold temps, the trails would be firm. I lucked out because the trails were in great shape for running...well, most of them anyway.

After an expertly prepared breakfast by me, we headed for Bradbury and put on our YakTrax in the parking lot. We thought an out and back on the Snowmobile Trail would be the best choice. We figured that the snowmobilers would have been out, and the trail would be evenly packed. Our guess was that the hiking trails would have an uneven mix of snowshoe tracks and footprints making a lumpy, uneven and potentially ankle twisting surface. Once again, we were right as we headed out on the Link Trail that, surprisingly, links the parking lot to the Snowmobile Trail. The Link was...you guessed it...lumpy, uneven and potentially ankle twisting. All the traffic from warmer days was still evident and frozen...basically fossilized. It was a bit tricky.

After a couple minutes on the Link Trail we passed the Lanzo Trail which is a really great single track trail. We had no plans of running it, since it would no doubt be a festival of shin banging postholing. But I took a good look at it, then a couple steps down it. The trail had seen a fair amount of snowshoe traffic, and there was a well-defined, well-packed trail. And, it was frozen solid. WOOHOO! With me in the lead, we cruised along the twisty, turny trail with only a couple minor postholes—none deeper than just an inch or so. It was a lot of fun. Then we hit intersection 83.

Just past intersection 83 something happened. The trail looked basically the same, but it was dramatically different. It was a festival of shin banging postholing. I have a legitimate cut and bruise on my left shin. In a couple places I sank in past my knee. So, after a minute and a half of crashing through the thick crust and picking ourselves up, we turned around. A rare wise decision by us. Defeated, we arrived back at intersection 83, regained our composure and returned to the Link Trail via the evil temptress that is the Lanzo Trail.

Back on the Link Trail we stumbled and bumbled until we hit the Snowmobile Trail, which was perfect for running. Unfortunately, I was not feeling perfect. I was dragging as we headed up the hill that begins the Snowmobile Trail. I didn't really get my first wind until about 40 minutes into the run. Maybe it was the Clif Shot Bloks... Maybe it was the Raspberry Hammer Gel... Maybe it was just a coincidence, and I need time to warm up... I'm going with the coincidence theory, but I felt really good on the way back. I was even thinking about adding another small loop, but I thought D might kill me for suggesting it.

Anyway, it was a great run, and it was fun to explore another section of trail. The Snowmobile Trail actually takes you out of the park, and I think we were actually out of the park longer than we were in it. It's pretty rolly, too, which made it fun. At out point, the trail had a stream running under it, and it won't be long before the trail is the stream. The ice and snow at that point will quickly become mush. I can't wait to run through it when it hits that phase.

No comments: