Monday, May 10, 2010

Training Week 5/2 - 5/8

Goal for the week was to take it easy. Mission accomplished. After feeling a little sluggish and just not quite right last week, the rest was welcome and needed. As a whole, I felt much better this week.

One lingering concern is my right leg, specifically my hamstrings and calf. I'm definitely not injured, but I'm experiencing what I'll call chronic tightness. It's concerning because of my history of calf strains, but I feel like I'm on top of it: stretching, foam rolling, massage, etc. Hopefully, it won't turn into a real issue.

Onto the numbers...

5/2, Sunday: Off

5/3, Monday: Off...ahhhhhh

5/4, Tuesday: 5.5 - 46:46, Twin Brook with the Trail Monsters. Weird day weather-wise, and the run started in light rain soon turned to sunshine and humid. Felt great.

5/5, Wednesday: 5 - 42:55, Homeplace Loop. Second time on this new loop, so I ran it in the opposite direction. I think this will actually become the normal direction...just flowed a little better. Breezy day, but I felt good.

5/6, Thursday: Off

5/7, Friday: 6.25 - ~1:20, Bradbury Scuffle course. Ran very easy, and stopped numerous times to get pics and video of the course. I'm still working on editing the video, but the pics are here. Calf felt a bit tight at first, but loosened up nicely.

5/8, Saturday: 5 - 39:59, Highland Green Loop. I think this is the fastest I've ever run this loop on an easy run. It wasn't intentional, but I felt good. Or, I was just trying to get it over with since it was cold, rainy and windy.

Totals:
Miles: 21.75
Trail: 16.75
Road: 5

Yup, an easy, mellow week, and a really good decision.

However, I have to admit I'm a bit concerned about one aspect of my training: the long run. I'm racing 25k on May 30, but I haven't done a run longer than 13 miles since the beginning of April. I've been racing and done a few hard workouts, but no long run. I think the strength is there, but I have that tiny little voice in the back of my head telling me I should be worried. That being said, I'll probably do one more longish run before the race, but I'd rather be a bit undertrained than cram a lot of hard training into the next three weeks. Perhaps, if I didn't care about my results, training would be easier...

Sing it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWtylSdKSfA

No comments: