Sunday, July 19, 2009

Highwater Trail, Evans Notch

Alternate titles for this post:
"The Out and Back that Kept on Going"
"I Could Have Sworn There was a Bridge Up Here Somewhere"
"Hmmmm...It's Getting Dark"

On Thursday, I had the chance to check out a trail I'd wanted to run for a long time. Well, at least since this winter. The Highwater Trail starts near the northern end of Evans Notch and follows the Wild River. But, the run was a spur of the moment decision, so I wasn't exactly what you would call prepared. I didn't get started until close to 6:30, but it stays light latish, right?. Plus, I was thinking that I could run out for two or three miles, hit a bridge, then head back on a trail on the other side of the river. Seemed like a good plan. Did I mention that I didn't have a map?

The trail is reasonably flat with a few sharp ups and downs where tributaries or drainages cut across the trail to the river. Makes for great running. So, ran I did. And, then ran some more. And kept running...and running...and running...and running. The bridge never materialized. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because there isn't actually a trail on the other side either. My "memory" of the map was way off. I was pretty certain that I was just going to have to turn around and go back the way I came. Then I saw this:

I guess the writing was on the sign on the tree. Well, so much for 5 maybe 6 miles. I did make it back before it got dark...barely.

Short run today with D and my sister. It was short and on the road, but it was groovy. Long run planned for tomorrow.

In other news, if you want to know what life is like with a kitten: go here. That's exactly what she sounds like and that's exactly how she acts. Well, except for the spraying of poisonous goo. She does eat flesh.

No comments: