Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kind of Human

White Zombie, anyone?



Since the debacle of the Muddy Moose, I've pretty much felt like crap. OK, that's not entirely true. D and I went for a slow 5 mile run on Monday, and I actually felt not that bad. Tired in the legs, but not that bad. Honestly, I think my sunburn was the worst part of the whole experience.

I ended up taking Tuesday off—half by plan, half by circumstances beyond my control, a.k.a. work. I'm glad I took the day off because I was feeling tight and creaky throughout everything. Wednesday was an equally crazy work day, and I didn't saddle up for my run until about 6 o'clock. And, even though I thought my run in the heat on Saturday was the worst run ever, I'm certain that Wednesday's run was, in fact, the worst run ever. I had zero energy and just felt terrible all over. I was literally shuffling at one point. I was planning on 5 to 6 but settled for 3.5. As soon as I finished, I downed pretty much all the food I could find as I was starving. So, ostensibly, it was lack of fuel that made this run so crappy, but I'm certain part of it was fatigue from Sunday.

Today, I ran my now usual loop through the Cathance River Preserve. At the start, I was worried. Low energy and lots of creakiness. Am I ever going to feel human again? About halfway through, I started to get my mojo back. I wouldn't say I felt great, but I at least felt good. I know that I'm in the midst of the toughest stretch of my training, but I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about all this fatigue. Am I overtraining? Will I feel better once I start to taper? Will I crash and burn at Pineland? I'm really starting to get...well...nervous. I know I can complete the 31 miles, but I'd like to do it with a little panache. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll feel better in the coming weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At least today, I felt a little more human.

No comments: