Monday, June 27, 2011

If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say...

...then don't blog about it.

When we last left our hero, I was bemoaning my lack of racing due to various accidents and infections. Well, I did indeed get a second round of antibiotics. Unfortunately, like a horror movie villian, the sinus infection just wouldn't die, and I needed a third round of antibiotics to kill it. However, even before I got to round three, I strained a calf muscle on an easy run. That led to another 8 days without any running. Since April 3, that makes a total of only 39 out of 86 days with a run and only two weeks with more that 35 miles total. In short, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't blog about it. Oh, and I was sick the last three days (one day with an 102° fever), so that just added to the zeros.

All that being said, I'm doing my absolute best to be positive about things. I had no real setbacks and all good races from November through March culminating with a good day at the Gator Trail 50k. (It's obvious I'm recovered from that now!) So, I'm tying to rationalize that three months down was worth it. But, it still sucks. The Bradbury Shuffle...er Scuffle is coming up (Registration now open!), and it will indeed be a shuffle. I won't even be able to spell "race shape" at this point, so I'll be training with a number on. Oh well, larger pieces of meat to skewer and barbecue are coming up in the fall. (Yes, I said, "pieces." Plural. And, I like barbecued meat better than fish, and it's my blog, so I can mix metaphors any way I choose.)

Despite still not feeling 100%, I did get out for a run this evening. Groovy spin on the trails around Mt. A. and one edge of the Cathance Preserve. Might become a regular loop. A pileated woodpecker flew right in front of me along the Heath Trail, giving me a real up close viewing. Of course, this was in my head the entire way...



See, even when I try to run, it sucks.

4 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Love it.
Last year my long run after recovering from injuries was the Skuffle 6 miler...

Scout said...

Is Danielle ghost writing? Snowman giving us bird sighting???

middle.professor said...

I like vals comment

pathfinder said...

Hmmn.....makes me think I have been complaining too much in my own blog.......and I didn't even have all the great excuses snowman does.