Monday, August 23, 2010

Training Week 8/15 - 8/21

The good news: I survived the plague. The bad news: I had a pretty miserable week of training.

Onto the numbers:

8/15, Sunday: Off. My fever was gone, but I was completely wiped out from not eating on Saturday.

8/16, Monday: 5 - 41:43, Highland Green Loop. I felt markedly better when I woke up, so I decided to give it a go. I figured I'd hit the relatively easy 5-mile road loop up the Highland Green Road, which also gave me the option of bailing onto the 3-mile Suck Loop, if I wasn't feeling well. I started out feeling awful, but by a mile or so, I felt pretty comfortable and felt better with each passing mile. So, overall, a good run to get the cobwebs out.

Side note: I wore my road shoes for this run. This was the first time I had worn them in four weeks and for only the third time in seven weeks. They felt so different from my trail shoes, it was incredible, and I don't mean that in a good way. They felt so big and bulky that I could barely feel my feet. It was really strange. They're coming to the end of their life cycle, and I'll definitely be looking for something less bulky and over-cushioned. Maybe I'll even read Born to Run...nah...

8/17, Tuesday: 6.75 - 1:01:50, 11x Mt. Ararat. I hadn't done a Mt. Ararat spin in about a month, so it was nice to incorporate this into the training again. It was hot, but I felt pretty good. A hawk watched me from his perch on a few laps.

8/18, Wednesday: 3.25 - 26:44, Powerlines. This was the worst run ever. My legs felt heavy and weak. I cut it from a plan of 5 miles, and I even considered walking home. The timing of the run could have had a lot to do with it. I headed out the door at around 7:30pm after a long day that included two, 2+ hour car rides. Needlessly to say, I won't be trying to squeeze in the miles like that again.

8/19, Thursday: 14 - 2:42:35, Bradbury Mountain State Park (Full Breaker then a bit of the Bruiser.). My initial plans for the day were to run the Breaker course then the full Bruiser. A touch ambitious, but I did just register for a 50k, after all. I felt tired and sluggish from the get go. In fact, I think I felt good for only a handful of steps the entire run. My Breaker time was 1:41 and change, and I debated just stopping there. Being a stubborn runner, I pushed on, but the Island Trail sucked my will to live. By the time, I hit the Snowmobile Trail, I was very happy to turn right, head in and call in a day. Obviously, I would have liked to have banged out the whole thing, but it just wasn't meant to be. That being said, I'm a bit concerned about not only having the time to get the long runs in, but also the fatigue. I'm hopeful that it is related to the illness and not a bit of burnout. Fingers crossed.

8/20, Friday: Off. With all of that in mind, I decided to play it smart and take the day off.

8/21, Saturday: Off. Ditto.

Miles: 29
Trail: 24
Road: 5

So, it certainly wasn't the week I had hoped for, but I can't do anything about that now. Like I said, I am a bit concerned about being ready for the 50k, but I know that I will at least be mentally prepared to push through it.

In that vein...


middle.professor said...

I think I remember telling you about the time Sam was born that you will be sick more often this year than any year in your life. Too bad I was right.

sn0m8n said...

Yeah, I would have preferred you to be wrong on this one. Did I mention I have another cold?

Sparkplug said...

But after this first year is over we'll have super powers and won't get sick anymore, right?! :-)

middle.professor said...

Worked for me! But we got an au pair after T&W were born so they weren't in day care and bringing home typhoid, ebola, 1918 swine flu and all that other crap you catch from infants.